-->

Saturday, December 30, 2017

The Effigy of Death - WIP

The painted version can be seen HERE.

Nagash was my biggest project up to date, but it was the Necrosphinx that was supposed to be converted the most. I definitely didn't want it to look Egyptian, I wanted it to be vaguely Slavic and having a similar theme to my wights.

First thing I did was to scratch off almost all of the plastic surface. What wasn't completely scratched off was at least slightly bumped. Original was way too smooth. Then I started covering the body with milliput - I wanted it to look more like a rough pile of rocks in the shape of a sphinx instead of a smooth sculpture. The effect was quite weird at this point. Also, not knowing what to do with the belly of the sphinx, I made it with a hole - to put a caged skeleton there, as a sacrifice powering the whole construct.


I added a pointy helmet because that's probably the easiest thing to get that 'ancient Slavic' look. The blades are made out of plasticard. Now I think that I should have it hold them instead of them being fastened to its arms, but this works too - makes it more recognizable as a Necrosphinx. Also, to avoid having too much stone texture and add some variation, I added Grave Guard shields to its legs. As you can see, I broke off the tail - I really didn't have an idea how to make it fit the theme, so I got rid of it entirely.


After that was done I did the wings. Cut pieces of tin-can were used as bases - on which I glued pieces of balsawood to make it look like wooden planks. I carved little ridges on each 'plank' to give them 'wood grain' appearance similar to all the wood GW makes - and then poured super glue on it - for added resilience. Still, they're rather fragile, so they're magnetized for ease of transport.


Finished conversion below. It is certainly overdesigned, but that's how I tend to do things...

No comments:

Post a Comment