-->

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Zombie Legion - Command Groups

Part of the Zombie Legion

More zombies while I am meticulously painting all the individual scales on the dragon...

Now, these were fun! Ever since the very beginning I have been trying to assign one command group to every zombie unit. Champion included, even if zombies cannot have champions in 8th edition WFB. Not only those groups made them look more organized, which I like, but they were also very good from the hobby standpoint - lots of converting, freehands, creating more interesting dudes than just your usual wound markers.


Constantin likes his horde somehow organized, at least slightly resembling real military units. He achieves this by giving each section a command group, with his family banner, a musician and a single zombie dressed like an officer. Surprisingly, this somehow improves their performance on the battlefield. It is unknown, if it’s because of the residual memories in each walking corpse are making them fight better under one command, or because it makes vampires and necromancers easier to focus their magic better when they can recognize each unit on the battlefield. No matter what it is, Constantin keeps the command groups gladly, replacing them after each battle as soon as possible.

First, the champions and the musicians. For this purpose, a champion was basically any zombie that is sticking its weapon into the air - and I actually ended with more of them than 8, so I had to choose some favorites. Musicians were also fun to build - I have so many leftover instruments laying around, I could do twice the amount needed - and every one was a cool modeling opportunity. Like that half of a zombie sitting on a carriage - I was really running out of legs so I got creative with some balsawood.

Tabletop miniature zombies for my horde unit - 8 champions and then 8 musicians, almost all of them kitbashed, converted and painted to be different and unique. They are all standing on square bases.

And the standard bearers - with their height, I couldn't fit them on one picture with the rest. As with the musicians, I could use a lot of my spare banners thanks to them - and they were also a freehand opportunity too! I tried painting my usual von Greifen coat of arms in many different colors and styles. It would be good to mention here that the ghoul with a bretonnian helmet, holding an axe, that's something I copied from one creative take on the Flesh-Eater Courts, done by the user Dez in the Dark Age of Sigmar thread on TGA community HERE.

Tabletop miniature zombies for my horde unit - 8 standard bearers, almost all of them kitbashed, converted and painted to be different and unique. They are all standing on square bases.

5 comments:

  1. Świetne konwersje. Do tego bardzo podoba mi się Twój styl malowania. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wielkie dzięki! Także za udostępnianie moich postów w 'Zebranych z Tygodnia' :)

      Delete
    2. Dobra robota to udostępniam. :)

      Delete
  2. Unbelievable. I like how you make them so colourful yet natural looking.

    ReplyDelete